Friday, December 23, 2011

Wish You A Happy (?) New Year (&#@!)

It is that time of the year again.


There are celebrations marking the death of the year. Some claim that the death had occurred precisely 360 days ago, but in this world of conspiracy theorists, happiness-shredding-optimism-chopping sadists, professional party goers, these sort of claims do not tend to seep in. After all, if you cannot celebrate the death of the year where your resolutions died a natural death - probably 360 days ago - what can you celebrate? Death of your wife ? You got to be kidding. Do you really think she will leave you alive after that ?


This is that time of the year when there is a general optimism around the normally sulking cubicles. The smiles are radiant, the faces are hope-seeking (yes, it was supposed to remind you of heat-seeking missiles), the tone is very much sing-song, the walk almost looks like a foreplay for a dance. Secret Santa invariably makes his presence, whether some of the 'What the heck are we celebrating' people really give him a damn or not. Gifts fall from the skies, from 'Landmark's, from the 'Fancy and Gift Shop's, and from the old cupboard where the old gifts were stored. Well, don’t cringe. It is the spirit of giving that matters. Not the spirit of newness.


No. It is not that I hate this time of the year though. I don’t love it, and I don’t hate it too. In that regard, I am like an atheist who is interested in understanding religions even though not keen on joining any of them. An outsiders perspective of something that is unexplainable and illogical is always more refreshing than being a part of the queue which is leading to the school of irrational studies. December 31st to me is no more exciting than November 30th or February 28th. It is much more exciting than September 20th though, for the simple fact that I get paid on December 31st while September 20th for me is still ten days away from an exciting event. The dawn of yet another new number that is going to stay with you for fifty two more weeks, give and take, is to tell it in a very frank way, is more or less as exciting as saying, "This is the girl you are going to live with for the rest of your life and you can do nothing about it". If you are the 'Yay!' types, you have my sympathy for you know not what you are getting in to. If you are the 'Aarrggh' types, you have my sympathy too for you know you have been sentenced to death as the constitution very specifically bars your existence.


Now, in this short outburst of agony, surprise, and probably as you might have started wondering, ignorance, if I have managed to spike that glass of 'I am happy' drink with some god-knows-what bitter potion, I have done my job. I know that these bunch of thoughts look half cooked, under baked, malnourished, incomplete, but right now - I am just too bothered to even think about the new year that every one is really ecstatic about. It is enough hard work writing, it is a thankless job writing about things that you hate thinking about, and you expect me to go gaga about the new year celebrations? Huh. By the way, is it ok if I hate Lady Gaga as much as I hate new year celebrations too ? Because I really do.


Wish You A Happy (?) New Year (&#@!)

No comments: